What to do to keep the kids busy on the road

May 7, 2010

Well, I'm not sure where the week went, but it sure is flying by!

I just wanted to let you know that I won't be back until Sunday night, so I wont post anything new until Monday, because...

Picture borrowed from Adventure learning eco tours

We are going camping!
No, not in a tent. I just thought the picture was pretty ;)
And considering it's been below freezing temperatures at night here for the past two weeks and we are heading to the mountains, it would be silly to go in a tent. The truth is, we just got a camper! and could not wait to try it out.
I've been packing all evening, trying to figure out what we will need, as the forecast is calling for rain, cold weather, and a bit of snow. Yeah, I know... it's not exactly going to be all outside fun, blowing bubbles, playing ball games and hiking in the mountains, but we are still very excited to go nonetheless. So I've been trying to pick out easy (and small) things to keep the kids busy if the weather gets too bad and we are stuck in the trailer. And then I remembered something from a post I just read this week.
The lovely Mari-Ann from Counting Coconuts just wrote a post about her super inventive activity kits.
Since I had just unpacked a new set of bedsheets, I decided to keep and reuse the plastic zippered bag they came in and make my own 'on the fly' activity kit.
Oh and can I say: Who Hoo! for recycling/reusing plastic!!!


I packed various coloring books that also all contain activities in them, some crayons and markers, two multi-colored pencils (the black ones, because they make fun and funky pictures).



And also two packs of activity cards. a counting one, and the other one is a word/picture recognition game.


To tell you the truth, we have not used those card kits for almost two years! I know, horrible, right?! And if it wasn't for Mari-Ann's awesome post, I'm sure it would have been another 2 years before I would have remembered to dig them out, lol.

Though my activity kit is not as creative as hers, and does not offer as much variety as hers, I still find it's pretty good for a last minute thing. But I can assure you, since this will not be our last time camping, I am going to use her ideas to put together some more activity kits like hers.

Weather your planning a road trip, or are anticipating a wait with your child at the dentist or at the restaurant, go check out her post HERE for some great ideas!

If the weather is nice (which I am keeping my fingers crossed it will), that would make me so happy. But if it's not, at least I'll be prepared :)

I'll be back on Monday and I am wishing you all a great weekend! (and a Happy Mother's day to all the mom's out there!)

1 comments:

Mari-Ann on May 15, 2010 at 6:40 PM said...

Wow, thank you so much for your kind words and link backs!! I'm so glad you found something useful on my blog! Love your idea of using the bedsheet bags, too -- very clever! Hope you had a wonderful camping trip!!

Hugs,
Mari-Ann
Counting Coconuts

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails