Maple-Glazed Trail Mix

May 19, 2010

As promissed, here is a recipe that you will be surprised by how easy and simple it is to make, yet so "freaken" good! If you have a sweet tooth, this is for you because it's sew-weet! If you like to hike and go camping, this is for you because, well, hello! Trail mix! Heck, this stuff is so good, the first time I made it, it was dinner that night because I couldnt stop eating it, lol.



It's based off a recipe I found in an older issue of the Alive magazine. I only made a few changes, like subbing the butter for coconut oil to make it healthier and it's perfect, in my opinion.



Maple-Glazed Trail Mix



2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup pecans, halved
1/2 cup almonds
1/4 pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup Medjool dates, chopped

In a skillet, melt the coconut oil on medium heat. Add pecans, almonds and pumpkin seeds. Cook 3 minutes, stirring regularly. Add maple syrup and cinnamon to skillet and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Toss in coconut and stirr well. Remove from heat and stirr in the cranberries and chopped dates. Put in a bowl to cool and store in an airtight container.


If you don't have a sweet tooth, this is probably not for you though. It tastes like dessert, if you ask me. Which is probably why I like it so much :) I am definately going to make sure I have a batch with me next time we go camping. It's perfect energy food for when your physically active, or need a pick-me up snack in the middle of the afternoon.

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do!

3 comments:

Mrs. M on May 20, 2010 at 8:03 AM said...

Will your kiddos eat this? I'm having trouble getting the boys to eat nuts and seeds. Which is such a bummer as they add so much to a diet and hollow tummies!:)

Stephanie on May 20, 2010 at 12:05 PM said...

Haha, not a chance! They are in a really picky phase right now and they will eat nothing that is mixed up :( I've even tried to tell them that "it has pancake syrup in it" or "it tastes like dessert", but without luck.

You are right though, it's shame because it's so packed with nutrition. Though they will eat the occasionnal pumpkin and sunflower seed, it's just not as much as I'd want them to.

aletheia on May 20, 2010 at 10:06 PM said...

YUMMERS! How delicious is that??? I could totally see some Greenola incorporation with your maple trail mix... ;)

Cheers,
Aletheia

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails