Chai Tea Breakfast Quinoa

May 4, 2010

Well hello there strangers! You didn't think I talked about getting my spark back and then bailed on you, did you? How is everyone doing this week so far?

We are doing well here, but when we woke up this morning, this is what it looked like outside:


My first thought was Yuck!

And my second thought, was that a green smoothie was just not going to cut it for me for breakfast. When it's winter outside (thought it's supposed to be spring now), I crave something warm and heavier for breakfast. I used to love, love, love oatmeal, and though I still do, I can no longer eat it, as it makes me instantly sick.

So it was the perfect time to whip up this recipe for Creamy Quinoa that I found HERE. I didn't have all the spices, so I used only what I had on hand, and let me tell you. It tastes just like Chai tea!! So I am calling this Chai Tea Breakfast Quinoa. Here is how I made it:



Serves 4
  • 1 1/2 cups GF vanilla rice milk (or any other milk of your choice)
  • pinch salt
  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 chopped pecans
  • Maple syrup, to taste

Bring milk, salt and 1 cup water to a boil.

Stir quinoa and cranberries, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 15-20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, stir in sweetener and spices. Serve warm, topped with more "milk" and pecans.

How easy is that? The cool thing about this, is that it contains 6g Fiber per serving. And who says you can't get protein by eating vegan? This has 10g of protein per serving!

Don't like Chai Tea? Omit the ground cloves and switch the cranberries for raisins to make this into a regular cinnamon raisin "oatmeal". Another great thing about this recipe, is you can make extra, keep the leftovers in the fridge and warm up when ready to serve and Voila! So if your in a hurry in the morning before work, you don't have to stand in front of the stove for 20 minutes.

I love how versatile this is. And I'm glad I have leftovers for tomorow, because I definitely LOVE how this tastes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails