Raspberry chocolate smoothie, Part 2

April 7, 2010

As promised, I'm back to share my recipe for my raspberry chocolate smoothie with you.

There is actually no chocolate in it, but it does seem to have a chocolatey taste. And though you can't really tell from the picture, it was more of a deep red, than brown, but I find that if you blend it a bit longer, it turns more to a brown color. Weird, eh? (Yes I said eh, after all, I'm Canadian, LOL)

So, what's in it?

2 ripe bananas, 1 1/2 cups raspberries (I used frozen), 1 cup water, 1-2 Tbsp hemp seeds (optional, but recommended for extra nutrients aka Omega's) and as much organic baby spinach as you can fit in the rest of the blender.




Give it a good whirl and voila! Well, actually, I usually taste it by then, because I find the raspberries can make a smoothie taste a bit bitter sometimes and it also depends on the ripeness of the bananas. If it's not sweet enough, just add a bit of honey or agave... I do sometimes with this smoothie.

OK, now, voila! It's absolutely delish!

When I started learning about nutrition, raw foods and eating a bit healthier, the first thing I did, was start drinking green smoothies. Though at first, I was pretty scared of greens. I used to only add a few spinach leaves to a whole 20oz of smoothie, versus 2 cups now. (I use kale too sometimes when I can find it). I also used to use all orange juice for the liquid. It was my way of feeling confident enough that my smoothie would not taste too "green".

Eventually I learned that you need vitamin C to help with iron absorption, so it just made sense to me to continue using the orange juice-spinach combo. Eventually, I reduced to half orange juice and half water for the liquids and upped the greens.

What makes this smoothie so great, is that for 100g of raspberries, you get 75% of your daily recommended dose of vitamin C! No need for orange juice with your spinach here!

I might just try to add some cocoa or carob powder to it soon, pour them into Popsicle molds and turn this smoothie into "fudgesicles"... wouldn't that be perfect for summer?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails