How much can they eat?

April 13, 2010

Well in the case of my kids, the answer would be LOTS!!!

They are both in a growth spurt right now and they are constantly eating.

The proof is in the breakfast... my son had 3 breakfasts on Sunday morning. 3!!! (And he's only 4 1/2 years old.) As soon as he was done of his last bite on his third breakfast, he was asking for a snack.

Of course, at that point my reaction was "Are you kidding?".

So I went to the kitchen to whip up a fruit plate for their snack. I just love making those, because they are so pretty and fun to make, AND they seem to fill them up pretty good.

This is what I came out with:

Doesn't it look pretty?
I like to add a few nuts to the plate just to make sure their tummy's stay full a tad longer than 3 seconds, though they don't always eat them :( My kids can still be pretty picky, and it's a constant battle to get them to eat healthy. But I am comforted to know that they are eating so many more healthy foods now compared to a little over a year ago. And I know I'm not the only parent out there struggling to get her kids to eat healthy.
These fruit plates (I sometimes make them veggie ones too, but the fruit ones are prettier!) really helped them wanting to have more produce at snack times. And if your kids are picky too, the trick is to not ask them if they want this for snack. Just give it to them!
If I ask my kids if they want some, they will sometimes just say no. Or if I give them a choice, they will pick something else.
But if I just make them a plate like this and bring it to them, they look at it with a sparkle in their eyes and get very excited about their snack.

In case your wondering, they ate almost the entire plate (though I did help a bit ;) except for the starfruit... it was a bit too sour for their taste.

And want to hear something else? They/we already ate almost all the fruit we had bought last Thursday and I had to go back and buy more fruits and veggies by Sunday... I guess buying a bit "too much" produce was a good thing after all!

2 comments:

Mrs. M on April 16, 2010 at 9:33 PM said...

So pretty! And I don't know any kiddos our little one's ages who will eat starfruit either.
Oh and the nuts....I wish my boys would eat nuts! Neither of them will. They are so missing out!!

Stephanie on April 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM said...

My daughter used to have a love affair with raw cashews, but she seems to be over it now
:(

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails