Groceries and organic bulk order

April 8, 2010

The weather has been so nice here for the past few days, that it was really inspiring me to eat even more fruits and veggies than I normally do. I felt like eating like I do in the summer.

Today was also grocery day AND my monthly organic bulk order was in too.

Woo Hoo!!!

So this morning I headed to the grocery store with the kids and loaded up on goodies.
Berries were on sale, which was a nice treat for this time of year, so I grabbed a container of raspberries, one of blueberries and two of blackberries. Also bought more bananas (it's rare that I find some that are already ripe in store!), a bag of oranges, a starfruit, two mangoes, a large container of organic baby spinach and a small one of organic baby greens...

And that does not even include the apples, lemons, grapes, carrots, asparagus, broccoli, cucumber and romaine (forgot I already had greens, oops!) that was already in my fridge...

I hate wasting food, so by buying lots of fresh produce, I'm making sure I/we are going to eat lots of it. I'll admit, I might have gotten carried away, considering all that is just for my two toddlers and I. But Oh well. I'm sure we can manage :)

My monthly organic bulk order was in too. So I went and picked it up.

It's such a money saver to buy this way! When I order an item, I have to order a whole caisse though (for our club anyways). But there are also shares (when someone orders a caisse but does not want it all).

This time we got:

  • Organic rice milk (gluten free!) for my daughter and I (a caisse lasts us almost 2 months)
  • Nut-Thins crackers
  • Organic agave (this cost me $6 less PER BOTTLE than at the health food store!!!)
  • 2 packs of Surf Sweets Gummy worms (organic , gluten-free and refined sugar free)
  • 2 packs of Woolwich goat cheddar cheese
The last two items were shares and I can't wait to try the cheese! Since there are two of us in the house who are lactose intolerant, we do cheese in moderation to not end up with tummy aches. But I have to say, it's really hard to stay away from cheese! Especially for kids, they sure love their cheese! Now that I have this, I will keep it for meals, and not just to snack on. I've had lasagna on the brain for weeks, I guess now I can finally make some :)

If your wondering why we can have goat cheese while we are lactose intolerant, well, it's hard for me to explain properly as I did not do any particularly deep research about this. But I have heard that goat's milk is much lower in lactose than cow's milk and that some people who are lactose intolerant, may still be able to digest goat's milk products. After hearing this, I had bought some goat's feta cheese, and can have it every day or so, in my salads, without any issues. So I'm giving goat's cheddar a shot.... and keeping my fingers crossed.


Anyways, with all the produce we now have in the house, especially the greens, I made a huge salad as an extra side dish at supper tonight. I'm not big on eating salads in the winter, but when it gets warmer, I really enjoy them.

Well, this morning (and for the past few days), it was warm enough that I was wearing flip flops with my jeans and carpi's...

And by supper time, this is what it looked like outside:



Actually, as I am typing right now, the ground is completely covered in snow and if it was still snowing, it would be a blizzard that's how strong the wind has been!

Gotta love Alberta weather, LOL!

Now, instead of salad, this weather is going to make me crave a large pot of homemade soup with a side of hot chocolate. I'll take pictures outside tomorrow morning so you can see how much it actually snowed. You won't believe it!

Have a good night :)

2 comments:

fethiye on April 27, 2010 at 1:24 PM said...

Hey Stephanie, where do you get your organic bulk orders from?

Stephanie on May 2, 2010 at 8:35 AM said...

Hi Fethiye thanks for stopping by!

I get my orders from Horizon distributions. A bunch of us from our town order through a friend of mine every month so I was not too sure how it works for other. I checked out online and it says they only deliver in Canada (I'm not sure where you are?) and they usually ship to restaurants and stores. So I'm not sure how my friend managed to get this whole thing organized. But here is their link if your interested: http://www.horizondistributors.com/index.html

I've also heard of some people from the US ordering from http://www.azurestandard.com/

I hope this helps!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails