Going loco for mango-coco

April 14, 2010

Another smoothie I've been enjoying lately is this one:


It's made of coconut water (high in electrolytes), mango, a banana, some regular water and/or orange juice, hemp seeds and a few large handfuls of spinach.

Don' let the green color fool you! It's very sweet and fruity!

Mango is one of the first fruits I used for my green smoothies when I started drinking them because they make the smoothie so fruity and sweet. I used to be very addicted to sweets and candy, so this smoothie was a nice transition for me. Of course, if you want it less sweet, omit the orange juice.

But in the last few weeks, I found myself slowly reverting back to my old eating habits.... mostly a whole lot of refined sugar found it's way back into my diet. Weather it was in the form of a french vanilla cappuccino, or hiding in sweets (chocolate and candy) that I'd been consuming in higher quantities than the average person would, it was there alright.

I wanted to go back to having green smoothies for breakfast, and not just as an afternoon snack, but just didn't feel like having them at that time of the day. What's the difference when I have them your probably wondering? Well, I find that having them for breakfast really sets the tone for how I'm going to eat and what kinds of food I will crave during the day.

So thanks to this sweet and fruity smoothie, I've been able to avoid refined sugary treats and start my day on a "green tone". I also find that I'm no longer tired in the afternoons. (Something that happens when I don't eat properly and that had returned).

After just a few days of avoiding "sweets" and drinking this smoothie, I'm starting to find it tastes a bit to sweet.... I'm ready to move on to another less sugary fruit for my breakfast smoothie now.

Hello frozen blueberries!

What's your favourite kind of smoothie? I'd love to know!

4 comments:

Mrs. M on April 16, 2010 at 9:36 PM said...

Mmmmm!
We tried a "desert" smoothie for breakfast recently as I'm trying to get different types of proteins into the boys and W will NOT eat nuts, peanut butter, etc. So I made a smoothie with frozen bananas, a small scoop of peanut butter and a TBsp of organic cocoa with a little rice milk. They loved it! W thought he had died and gone to heaven since we do not eat sweet treats like chocolate.~ I bet I could get some spinach in there too.

A definite do again.

Stephanie on April 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM said...

Your smoothie sounds like heaven! I'm SO trying that today, I'm drooling at the thought of it right now, lol. Thanks for sharing!

Sheri (Green and Crunchy) on April 22, 2010 at 5:34 PM said...

That smoothie looks great! Right now I am hooked on Kristen's raw Chocolate Cherry Bomb Shake. So good!
I love the addition of mangoes too -- my daughter made a creamy mango-vanilla shake for us that was divine :)
Your smoothie is a great way to jump start the day!

Stephanie on April 22, 2010 at 6:01 PM said...

Sheri, thanks for sharing! I'll head over to Kristen's blog to see if I can find that recipe.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails