Vegan Fudgey Brownies

March 16, 2010

Hello all,
Since I feel like I had been neglecting my poor blog in the past week (and you), and I still forgot to recharge my batteries for my camera (so I can't yet show you what we were up to this past weekend), I thought I'd share this yummy recipe I tried a couple weeks ago.

I found the recipe on the Vegetarian Times site, and I can say that so far, their recipes are all turning out awesome! It's my official "go to" for veg recipes now. I'm loving everything I whip up from them. You can find this original recipe HERE, but I made a few changes, so I'll post it the way I made it, since I like to bake sugar free and I don't digest regular oil very well. You see... I have no gull bladder. So if I eat baked goods that have oil in them, I get bad indigestion. Though I'm not sure why, it seems that if I replace oil with coconut oil in a recipe, I'm absolutely OK. Feel free to use whatever you prefer or have on hand.

And while were on the subject of baking, I thought I'd give you a little update on my celiac test... it was negative! Thank goodness! While I still have some kind of intolerance, I'm not sure to what exactly. I know I don't do well with oats, which sucks because it's my favourite kind of breakfast, next to green smoothies. But do I react to all gluten? Or just oats and wheat? Can I eat wheat once a week and feel ok, but not daily? Only time will tell.

For those of you who don't have those issues, go ahead and try this recipe... you won't be disappointed! It definitely lives up to it's name, because it is Oh! So! Fudgey!

Fudgey Brownies

  • 3/4 cup unbleached flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch cocoa powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1 small ripe banana
  • 1/3 cup honey (or agave nectar)
  • 1/2 cup plain rice milk
  • 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with spray.

Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.

Melt the chocolate chips with the coconut oil in a double boiler over gentle heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in banana and honey. Combine rice milk, flaxseed meal and vanilla in a measuring cup, then fold into the chocolate mixture. Stir chocolate mixture with dry ingredients, until just combined, then spread in baking pan.

Bake 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out dry from sides, but middle is still soft. Cool in pan, then cut in 16.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails