Finally! A post! And some gluten free beakfasts

March 30, 2010

I hope everyone had a good weekend?

I am aware this is Tuesday and not Monday, but I've just been pretty busy lately. And when I wasn't busy, I was not really in the mood for blogging. I just wanted to hangout with my kids, or sleep, lol.

Last week, had to be one of the busiest week I've had in a long while. I worked 4 mornings, Ashton had preschool 2 afternoons and I used that time to run errands with my daughter, we had two play dates during the week, I did my spring cleaning/organizing and hosted a Princess House party... Phew!

Lets just say I fell asleep on the couch Friday night (at 8pm!) and had no motivation for anything by Saturday! Sunday, we had a fun day with friends, had an Easter egg hunt for all the kids, a supper among friends and great conversations. It was so great! Now, my batteries feel all recharged from this insanely busy yet fun week and I am ready to blog again :) Thanks for being so patient with me!


Lately, I've been growing tired of eating the same old breakfast every day. One morning before work last week, I came up with this:
A banana, a handful of raw almonds and two cut up oranges. I know it looks very simple, but it was filling and delicious. I also happen to wake up extremely thirsty that morning and those oranges really hit the spot!
I also started experimenting with gluten free recipes and (pre-made) mixes last week. One recipe I made from scratch, is not worth talking about. But this Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free pancake mix was awesome!

Usually, I'd make pancakes with unbleached "white" flour, and my son could eat 2-3 pancakes in one sitting. Not this time! I followed the recipe on the back, except I subbed applesauce for the oil, used GF rice milk, and added some grated apples to the mix, to turn them into a GF version of my "famous" apple pancakes.

They were delicious, fluffy AND filling! My son could barely finish the one and only pancake on his plate. He even had to rest on the couch in the middle of breakfast and then came back to the table a few minutes later to finish it, LOL. I am very happy about this mix.
I've also tried Bob's Red Mill gluten free chocolate cake mix, and put them into muffin molds to have a bunch of cupcakes stashed into the freezer for when you get a craving for something baked and chocolaty. They were equally delicious and very moist. I'm very impressed so far, at the Bob's Red Mill gluten free mixes so far. I'm sure it's cheaper to do gluten free recipes from scratch, but I'm OK with taking the easy way out for now. Because the results have been quite tasty.

This morning's fruit plate for snack time: green grapes, strawberries and raw almonds. I have to make sure I'm boosting the kids immune with lots of healthy snacks because my daughter woke up with a slight fever and the sniffles this morning. And since they both just recently finished a round of antibiotics after a particularly harsh flu and ear infection, I will do what I have to, to make sure they don't get sick again so soon.
Also, I have been hiding some Echinacea in their juice today :)
Like I said, I'm not taking a chance!

2 comments:

Kathy on March 31, 2010 at 2:55 AM said...

Hi Stephanie!

Bob's Red Mill has great products, and they
are made in a dedicated gluten free facility,
which is awesome.

You might want to try their hot cereals too.
They are really good.

Stephanie on March 31, 2010 at 8:30 AM said...

Thanks! I did try one, I think it's called farina it's like a rice porridge and it's pretty tasty, but I guess I forgot to mention it in my post, lol. But I'm curious about trying their other ones.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails