Our fun weekend and the ugly truth

February 9, 2010

When I say "the ugly truth", I am not referring to the movie. I'll get back to that in a moment...
This weekend, we sort of when on a little getaway, not too far from home. We rented a hotel room for the weekend and had some activities planned.

The room was quite large, and the kids had a blast, jumping from bed to bed. I don't let them do that at home, but what are getaways for, right? My favourite part of the room, was not the beds, since I was not planning on jumping on them, but the fireplace (that you can't see in the picture). I had not had the pleasure to enjoy a fireplace since I moved out of my parents house.

The main reason for the little getaway, was because my hubby was taking our son to a Monster Jam show. The boys had a great time together!

My in-laws and our nephews also went to the show and all the kids got to hang out!

While they all enjoyed their Monster Jam outing, I got to take my daughter for lunch, some shopping at my favourite (but almost never visited) store, Ikea, and then to a movie. It was our very first "girl day" together, and I really enjoyed it. Come to think of it, it was the boys first "guy day" too!

We went to see the Princess and the Frog. What a cute movie! But I am sure the only thing that my daughter got from the movie, is if she runs out of snacks and nags me enough, I will go get her more, LOL.

And here is my son, in front of one of his favourite truck, Grave Digger. They got to check out the trucks before the show and he LOVED IT!

Now... to the ugly truth!

Like I mentioned before in the past few posts, I did a 5 day vegan and wheat free cleanse (if you want to call it that). I didn't get to figure out what was causing my eczema in that short period, because it was not long enough to make it all go away. But during the weekend, I ate anything but healthy foods.

Wanna know what happened? My eczema came back with a vengeance!

When I say I ate anything but healthy foods, I mean anything BUT. Now is time for you to gasp at the ugly truth. In the 4 day period that my hubby was home and had our getaway, I ate:

  • pizza twice (I'm talking full fat, full cheese AND pepperoni... I'm lactose intolerant too, remember?)
  • brace yourselves... McDonald's. Yes. You read that right. A McChicken at that. I think that was my last one EVER. It was nasty! My son and I both had massive cramps within 15 minutes and ended up in the bathroom (sorry if it's TMI).
  • Had fish at dinner Saturday night, followed by some cheesecake for desert, among other things.
  • Had lots of coffee (with dairy cream in it, because that's all I could find. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)
  • Eggs and bacon for breakfast the last morning we were at the hotel.
  • And even had a beef burger from Wendy's on the last day when we went back to the city.
  • Also had buttery popcorn and Nibs licorice at the theatre.

Now. That being said, I will tell you I am beyond disappointed with myself, you have no idea. So please be gentle with me, if your going to leave comments.

The reason I am so honest here, is because first of all, lying on my own blog, would be like lying to myself... completely pointless. And I also wanted to share what I've learned from all this.

First, when I was eating vegan and wheat free: I felt A-MA-ZING! I felt light and lean. I lost 3 lbs in 4 days only, and never went hungry. Because I figured if I was going to eat vegan AND avoid bread and wheat pasta, I was at least going to make sure to eat when I was hungry. My eczema did not flare at all, even the redness started disappearing, except for when I accidentally ate something with wheat in it... I itched for 2 days. Bottom line, I liked how I felt and other than making sure that I get enough iron, it was not as hard as I thought it would be.

What I learned from going on what you could call "an unplanned free for all and short return to my old eating habits": I had serious, um, bowel issues. Sorry for the info, but it's the truth. From extreme constipation, to diarrhea for a couple days, and lets not forget lots of cramps and bloating. Gained those 3 lost lbs back, surprise! surprise! NOT!! Feel exhausted again and this time, I know it's not due to iron deficiency. I know that much. And my eczema is back with a vengeance! It not only flared up again, but it spread a considerable amount. Fun, fun. I also learned, that when I am in my little routine of being a stay at home mom, just the kids and I when my hubby is at work, it's pretty easy for me to eat healthy, and even vegan and wheat free. But once I am out of my element and surrounded by people, I let myself be influenced, even though no one put pressure on me to do it. Nothing was mentioned to me about what I was eating, it was my fault, and only my fault.

I see vegetarianism and veganism not as a diet, but a lifestyle. It's not something I want to go back and forth doing. I am going to need to learn to stick with what I know my body wants, no matter what the circumstances are. Eat healthy food (and no meat) and if wheat is causing my eczema, stay away from it too. That might mean I will need to order salads if no other veg option are offered when I go somewhere, make some green smoothies to bring to the hotel for the weekend, and/or bring proper snacks with me, so I'm not tempted.

So, there you have it. Our fun weekend, and my ugly truth. But I'm telling you folks, it was debating weather or not I was going to share the ugly truth with you or not. In the end, I decided on doing so, because a lot of you who regularly leave me comments, seem to genuinely appreciate that I share my struggles with you. I guess it's nice to know we are not alone.

If you are vegetarian or vegan, please don't hesitate to let me know if you struggled with it when transitioning and how you dealt with "peer pressure" when going to eat out. I'd love to know that I'm not alone.

Well, that's enough for this post. I am going to wish you all a wonderful evening, and go make some vegan food for supper for the kids and I. Because as of yesterday, I am back on track. No wheat, no meat, green smoothies and lots of fruits and veggies... And it feels GOOD!

3 comments:

Mrs. M on February 10, 2010 at 9:24 PM said...

Thanks for sharing! I too need to fess up to the ugly truth...like the fact that I fed myself and little boy Bup McD's today. Ugh. In a hurry, disorganized, didn't pre-plan....
It's amazing how quickly our stomachs adjust. We had a greasy dinner for husband's birthday in the fall and my stomach freaked out afterwards!
Thanks for the inspiration....to be honest, and keep carrying on.

Stephanie on February 10, 2010 at 10:54 PM said...

And thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one and making me feel ok :)

SQUISHY on February 11, 2010 at 5:16 AM said...

Don't be hard on yourself - we all lapse! I stick to vege as I just don't like meat, but my weakness is Chinese curry sauce and chips (like big fat fries- not potato crisps!) which is VERY unhealthy and full of fat and MSG and I just adore it and when I am feeling down or stressed, I always want takeaway and instead of going for lovely steamed, healthy chinese veges, I just go for my chips and sauce. I am a chip-o-holic! In fact, we have had major bad news re my husbands business and will now have to move AGAIN - so I totally opened the wine, had half a bottle but even though I craved my usual crap food, I made a quick chickpea/lentil buger and some home fries to take the edge off and it was gorg! I chopped some potatoes into fat chps, brought them to the boil and then baked them in the oven with a bit of olive oil. For my burgers, i just whizzed up a can of chickpeas, a can of lentils, some spring onions, a dollop of peanut butter and a squiz of lime juice with some chilli, cumin and paprika spices and then added breadcrumbs and moulded them into burgers. Take 5 mins or less to cook - either in the oven or dry frying. For tonight, I have made loads of chopped veges with mixed beans, added the same spices and turned it into a beany-chilli which we will have with brown rice. Only thing is, the kids hate all of the above and I can't keep affording to cook seperate meals!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails