The last week in food photos

February 17, 2010

After our weekend getaway, (you can read about that HERE) I was left with the urge, the NEED to eat lots of healthy foods. I've even been craving salads for the past week or so! Of course, after all that binging, the return for my taste for sugary treats returned, and to deal with it, I've been baking from scratch, making vegan cookies and such, replacing sugar with honey or agave to make it a tad healthier. Though some white flour pasta have made it's way into our meals from time to time, I decided with the advice of my dear online friends (you know who you are and thank you for your kind words :), that I would cut myself some slack. I am not perfect, and I need to stop trying to strive for perfection when it comes to eating, because it was leading me in one simple direction: Failure! But I am sure as hell not going to stop trying to get us all to eat better.

I read a great post from my friend Hippie Mom over at The raw journal, and she made me realize that my problem was that I was trying to label myself. I had been feeling like I had to decide weather I wanted to be a vegetarian, a vegan, or a raw foodist. For someone just starting on her own health journey (it only started a year ago), I'm still learning about nutrition and still trying to figure myself out in the middle of all that, it's waaayy too much pressure to put on myself to try and live up to a label.

So from now on, I am going to try and focus on the positive aspect of things.

Things like: I've made tremendous changes in the past year. Or, I eat about 75% more veggies daily than I used to! Or, I now drink water, and not just the water that comes in my coffee or tea anymore.

I'm telling you, read her post. It's not very long to read, and it really put things into perspective for me.

Anyways, on to our food now...


I've been using our neglected section plates again. They really make a difference in how much fruits and veggies my kids eat in a single meal. They usually finish the fruits and veggies before they eat whatever else is in there. And in my books, that's a winner!


If your wondering what my little guy is picking up, it's some vegetable samosas. We looove those. They are a once in a while treat, but we really love them.

We had some cauliflower, peas, clementines, hummus and pumpkin seeds. I think my kids love the section plates as much as I do :)

Oh look! Even our snack boxes have sections! (Pictured here are organic crackers, strawberries, raisins and organic dehydrated apples).

Tomato-avocado sandwiches are in my top 2 favourite kinds of sandwiches. I just recently bought some vegan mayo by the brand Spectrum. Amazing! It's only 3g of Fat instead of the 8 or 11g in their regular mayo, and it tastes exactly the same. I love it!

I've also been enjoying plenty of salads, this one, with all kinds of mixed spring greens, spinach, red onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, kalamata olives and some goats feta. Yum! Full of flavours! I know it might look like a lot of cheese in this salad, but what you can't tell from the picture, is that the salad is actually in a large serving bowl, not a regular soup bowl. That salad was all I had for dinner that night and I was SO satisfied. I need to do this more often, it was just so delicious!

And though I didn't take any pics of my green smoothies, I've also been enjoying them daily again.
Oh, in case your wondering, my kids are finally on the mend. My son had a really big ear infection but is slowly getting better. Thanks for your well wishes :)

4 comments:

HippieMom on February 18, 2010 at 2:30 PM said...

Hello Beautiful,

Your section plates are awesome!! Luv luv the photos!
and that salad (with kalamata Yumo) is a delicious mix. and love the avo sandwich.

I was so happy to read this post. Thank you so much Stephanie. You made my day.

X♥X♥

Stephanie on February 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM said...

Hello lovely!
Glad I could make your day, because you made my week! <3

Sheri (Green and Crunchy) on February 23, 2010 at 8:12 PM said...

SECTION PLATES!! This post makes me SO happy :)

I love your snack boxes too! And the tomato avocado sandwich looks so good -- like a summer meal :)

Stephanie on February 23, 2010 at 8:48 PM said...

Hi Sheri, I knew you'd like this post... after all, your the one that got me using them :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails