I'm Popeye the Sailor man

February 9, 2010

Hi everyone,

Sorry for neglecting my poor little bloggy. I had actually wrote a post on the 4th, about what had been going on and telling you that I was going to be away for a few days... and I forgot to post it!

I could barely keep my thoughts together lately. I've been having such a foggy brain! And that's pretty much what my post was about. So I edited it slightly from my original draft and here it is:




Well, it's no secret I had been feeling like crap (for a lack of a better word) lately. I had a little cold two weeks ago that sucked every bit of energy out of me. I had been completely exhausted for the last while, and lets not forget cranky!

I had been blaming it on the winter blues, the whole time.



In the mean time, I decided to get my eating back on track, eliminating all dairy because of my lactose intolerance, eliminating meat just because I usually feel a lot better physically when I don't eat it, and also avoiding wheat for my little allergy experiment.



So what does Popeye have to do with this post your wondering?











Notice what he's holding?

In my books, spinach = great source of iron.


And that's what was wrong with me. I've gone through vegetarian phases before, but never ate mostly vegan AND I had not been drinking my green smoothies daily this time around (which I usually pack full of organic spinach). I also always take a multi-vitamin, but I ran out a couple weeks ago and kept forgetting to buy more.

Figuring out I was low on iron was completely accidental too! But as soon as I took the supplement, within an hour or two, I was awake again and my brain fog had been lifted. I had so much bounce in my step, that while I was doing the dishes and listening to my iPod, I broke into a little dance in the middle of my kitchen! I never do that!

I took the supplements just for a few days, to "replenish my body's supply", and went back to drinking my green smoothies DAILY (until I went away this weekend). I also make sure I eat beans or legumes everyday. The difference in how I feel, within a week, is like night and day. I feel like I am me again. And that's just who I love to be!

So in all this, I guess I learned that even though you can eat very healthy, it's not always easy to eat a balanced diet.

Enjoy your weekend! I will be going away for a few days and will update again when I come back. xx


Note: I am not a Dr and the reading I did on taking iron supplements and/or anemia, it is recommended to go for blood tests before taking some. Because over doing it with iron supplements can damage your liver in the long term. I just wanted to share with you my experience with that.

So, there is my late post ;) I will post again tonight about what we were up to this past weekend, what my 5 day vegan and wheat free experiment taught me and what happened when my old eating habits resurfaced this weekend.

Stay tuned!

4 comments:

SQUISHY on February 9, 2010 at 1:51 PM said...

This is really interesting - I get a lot of brain fog too and feel really spaced out at times, grumpy and no energy. But for me, I think it is because I don't drink enough water in the day. i am going to try and cut back my normal tea/coffe and drink green tea or water during the day...but not sure I can give up my morning cuppa just yet!

SQUISHY on February 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM said...

ps - if you email me your address I will send the kids some SQUISHY! You can always leave it via my website enquiry form if you don't have my email.

Mrs. M on February 9, 2010 at 11:36 PM said...

I buy frozen spinach by Europes best bc it comes in little square "bales". Which I throw into smoothies and no one has a clue! It's great!
Also, a great pasta sauce is roasted red peppers, & onions whizzed in your blender then thrown on handfuls of fresh spinach and pasta. The hot sauce wilts the spinach and the peppers make the sauce so sweet. Mmmmm!
Way to go Popeye!

Stephanie on February 10, 2010 at 1:49 PM said...

I wouldn't be surprised if different "deficiencies" would cause people to feel brain fog... I still havent been able to cut my morning cup of coffee, but I try to limit myself to that and it forces me to drink more water, or I'd drink coffee ALL day, I love that stuff so much! lol.

That's a great idea to hide spinach into other things, since it's so mild in taste. I'll have to try your red pepper sauce, sounds delish, Mrs. M!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails