Color in a bag Tutorial

February 28, 2010

Good morning everyone!

I hope your all having a good weekend? I guess I've neglected my blog this week, but I think this post should make up for it... for those of you who have small children anyways ;)

I wish I could take credit for this cool activity idea, but I didn't come up with it. I stumbled upon it on the Family Fun website. If you've never been there, you need to check it out. It's from Disney and they have everything from crafts, games and printables, to birthday parties and cake decorating ideas.

I found this craft HERE, but I thought I'd make it into a tutorial. It's more fun than just sharing a link :)


Color in a Bag

  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 4 cups cold water
  • Food coloring
  • Freezer bags (Ziplock style)
  • Tape

Over medium heat, combine the cornstarch, sugar and water in a saucepan, stirring continuously. (I expected the cornstarch to clump, but it dissolved very easily).


Once the mixture begins to thicken, remove the pan from the heat and stir for another minute or so, until it thickens to a pudding consistency. Let it cool 30 minutes.

Spoon mixture into bowls. Stir a few drops of food coloring into each, then divide the colors between the bags.
(The site says to use 2 gallon-size bags, but since my bags are not labeled that way on the box, I used medium size. Also, I found there was a bit too much in the bags for my kids to be able to mix them easily. Next time, I would probably put the whole thing into 3 bags.)

Seal the bags with tape.




Let your child mix and mash the colors.

My kids loved to discover the new colors that appeared AND they thought it felt really cool!


The fun thing about this, is that you could always put smaller quantities in smaller bags and bring it with you when your kids are going to need to wait patiently somewhere. Like at the restaurant, dentist, doctor, or wherever else they might need to be good and patient for you :)

Will keep for a week.

Note:

Once our week was over (and yes, they played with it ALL week), I put them in the freezer. They have the texture of those gel packs freezer bags, so I thought I'd try it. I have not thawed them yet though, so I'm not sure what happens to the texture after that... I will keep you posted :)

I hope your kids enjoy this as much as mine did!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I'll have another post for you tomorrow :)

2 comments:

HippieMom on March 1, 2010 at 11:08 AM said...

This is all very nice ☺ Brilliant idea to take it out for the monsters to be busy with!!
And those colors!! Sweeeet!
Thank you for sharing.
xoxo

Sheri (Green and Crunchy) on March 1, 2010 at 2:34 PM said...

What a cool activity!

I love that they can play to their heart's content, but ALL the mess is contained inside the sealed bag :)

Will try this with my own munchkins, thanks for the great idea!
Sheri

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails