A vegan meal & the cashew "cheese" experiment

January 9, 2010

Happy Monday!

I have not posted much in the past week, and that's because both my kids were sick. One with a nasty caugh, and the other had a fever (at night only) for a few days before getting the caugh. Lets just say, I have been woke up at night, at least 5 times a night, for the past 5-6 nights. At least I took good care of myself making sure I don't skip the green smoothies, putting in some extra greens and vit-C, so I did not get one symptom my kids had.

If I get sick, who's going to take care of me? lol.

Anyways, the reason for my post is that, since last week, I have been really putting an effort into making more meals that are vegan. It's not that hard actually, but since it's not exactly a habit for me, it does take some planning and I do have to be aware of my food choices, and not just eat mindlessly (everyone else eats dairy in my house).


Everything has been very tasty so far, and I feel so much better! All the pains I was experiencing last week are completely gone and I dropped a couple "holiday" pounds already, because my pants fit normally again. Thank goodness!


A couple nights ago, I was really in the mood for burritos. I had everything I needed to make them. But would it taste as good as I was used to without the cheese?

Then I remembered a recipe for some raw "sour cream" I had written down... somewhere.
Of course I could not find it anywhere, and I looked everywhere. (My healthy recipes are not yet organized.)

But I did remember the ingredients... raw soaked cashews, water and lemon juice. So I ground the cashews in my food processor until somewhat fine. Then added a touch of lemon juice and some water. I had to do that a couple times, since I didn't know the measurements and did not have any idea how much lemon juice I would need. I didn't want it to end up tart. What I ended up with was neither tart, nor was it "sour cream". But it did taste like cheese. Like ricotta cheese to be exact AND had the exact same texture. (I swear, if you were to put that in a traditional lasagna, you would fool anyone!)

Now I know that ricotta is not the typical addition to burritos, but it was close enough for me.


I browned some onions in a pan, then added some re fried beans and some salsa until well mixed and warm. Topped with some chopped green onions, then the "cheese" and lettuce before rolling. And it tasted oh so good!
So go ahead... try something new today. You just might be surprised!

3 comments:

mom seeks life on January 13, 2010 at 1:19 AM said...

That looks delish! I love food like that and will give that a try (but I might naughtily add real cheese to mine!).

Sarah on January 30, 2010 at 2:34 PM said...

avocado slices or guacamole is good on burritos - gives 'em a nice creaminess :)

Stephanie on January 31, 2010 at 8:34 PM said...

Oooh, I didn't think about it, but that's a great idea Sarah! I'll try that next time :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails