An exotic recipe to beat the winter blues!

January 26, 2010

Hello all!

Pardon my absence for the past 11 days. Believe it or not, I was not missing. I have no excuse whatsoever for not posting, other than just feeling the winter blues lately. Nothing seemed exciting enough to write about... until I tried this recipe a couple days ago!


I discovered it while watching Guy Fieri on the Food Network a while ago and finally remembered to search for the recipe on their website. And Oh My! Is it ever good! I replaced the chicken stock with water to "veganize" the recipe and it was still so flavourful. It also made tons, so I have lots of leftovers for the week, which is perfect, since those winter blues are not putting me in a cooking mood. The only thing is, that my kids would not touch it. They have been REALLY picky eaters lately, you have no idea! Too bad for them, they don't know what they are missing... more for me! lol.

I slightly changed the recipe, like the quantity of water, as I knew it was too much for the Thai Jasmine rice I had, and changed the kind of oil called for, as well as subbing the chicken stock. You can find the original recipe HERE.

Coconut Cilantro Rice with Peas and Cashews

  • 1/2 cup coconut
  • 1 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 2 cups jasmine rice
  • 2 cups water or veg broth
  • 1 - 15oz can coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
  • 1/3 cup roughly chopped cashews (I used raw cashews, but toasted would work too, just make sure they are unsalted)
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 tsp salt

In a large pot, over medium heat, add the coconut and lightly toast. Remove to a small bowl and set aside.

In the same pot, add the oil and the rice and saute until the rice is just starting to brown, about 6-8 minutes. Add the water (or broth), coconut milk and stir to combine. Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.

Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro, cashews and peas. Season with salt and transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with the toasted coconut and serve!

Serves 6-8

So go on, and give this little recipe a try, it's big on flavor! It's exotic, yet warm... perfect for beating those winter blues!

3 comments:

HippieMom on January 27, 2010 at 1:02 AM said...

This rice dish sounds very good!
The blues seems to affect everyone & we always find ways to get out of it ;-)
XOXO

Mrs. M on January 28, 2010 at 1:07 AM said...

Mmmmm...that sounds awesome! And easy!
I've been feeling in a cooking funk...it just seems like a lot of work sometimes instead of just kinda fun...not to mention necesary...so thanks for the inspiration.
Jan is worst for those winter blues or s.a.d. or whatever....hang in there. Maybe you can find yourself in a tanning bed once in a while? It's amazing how that zap of (albeit artificial) sunlight can help the soul in the midst of the winter soul-less.

Stephanie on January 28, 2010 at 9:24 AM said...

Thanks for the lovely comments girls!

And yes, this dish is easy AND tasty! Best of both worlds, lol.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails