Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

November 30, 2009

Happy Monday everyone!

I hope you all had a good weekend? We had a busy one here! It might have seemed like I was MIA for a while, but my hubby was home on days off, and his sister, husband and our 2 nephews came for a visit this weekend.

The kids had a great time! They just love getting together and playing the whole time. They live almost 5 hours away, so it's always a nice treat to see them!

Now, everyone is gone, even my hubby and things are returning back to normal around here. It's even a bit too quiet for my liking to tell you the truth. I love having a crowd around! But now that it's just the kids and I at home, I feel like I can focus on getting some stuff done... like baking!

I have not been eating well this past week. It's been really bad. Pizza, chips & dip, hot dogs (yes, I even caved in for meat, and it was hot dogs, not proud of myself), candy, and whatever I could get my hands on. Told you it was horrible! It's pretty amazing what a drug junk food can be!

So I've been back on oatmeal, fresh veggies and green smoothies so far today and it feels so good! But after all that crappy eating of the past few days, by body is craving some sweets.

So yes, I made chocolate chip cookies. But NO, there will be no pizza, chips, dip, candies or hot dogs in sight for a long while. I do not enjoy feeling tired and like crap.

Anyways, I thought I would share this cookie recipe. I used to make them every now and then, but this time, I actually found them a bit too sweet (Imagine that, after all the stuff I ate, they seemed too sweet!). So next time, I will maby halve the sugar in them, or replace the sugar completely for another healthy substitute (like agave nectar). But for now, I will share the recipe as is.

Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp ground flax with 1 1/2 Tbsp water (see tip on bottom for how to make flax egg replacer)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, or carob chips
  • 2 Tbsp (or more) shredded unsulphured coconut
  • 2 Tbsp (or more) sunflower seeds

Mix all the ingredients. Spoon on a baking sheet and bake at 350 F for 10 to 15 minutes. This batch makes about 18 cookies.

Tip to replace eggs in recipes

For each egg a recipe asks for, mix 1 Tbsp of ground flax with 1 1/2 Tbsp water. You can either let it sit for about 5 minutes, or micro-wave it for a few seconds (about 10). It will have a gooey texture, almost like egg whites. Works really well in cookies and muffins. You may have to test some recipes though, especially if it's a cake or loaf, to see if it will rise properly. It's a great way to "veganize" any recipe, or if your in a pinch and ran out of eggs.

I hope this helps!

I hope you all have a great day, I'm going to make a pumpkin latte now (new recipe, I will let you know how it turns out) and sit down with a good book for a little while (or as long as the kids will allow :)

Stephanie xx

1 comments:

Mrs. M on November 30, 2009 at 10:43 PM said...

Mmmmmm...those look super!
I've been eating horribly too this past week...just feeling lazy and tired and disorganized. I gave myself today as the one last day and tomorrow is a fresh start. My plan is to go low carb. No white stuff. Wish me luck. I need to detox from the carbs!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails