Homemade play dough

November 6, 2009

It's Friday night and that means the weekend technically starts now! Woo Hoo!

I thought I'd write a quick post right now, since my hubby just got home from work for his 4 days off (in case your new to this blog, he works away for 14 days at a time). Which means for the next 4 days, I'm going to enjoy some family time and we'll also celebrate our son's 4th birthday together. I always look forward to seeing how happy and surprised the kids are when they wake up in the morning and realize that Daddy's home!


Anyways, I thought I'd post a Quick and Easy Homemade Play dough Recipe. I made again a couple weeks ago, on a rainy day, and the kids were in desperate need of some quiet play time. OK, I was in desperate need of them having some quiet play time.

It's super cheap, easy and quick to make. Gotta love that!


You will need:
  • 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour. (don't use whole wheat, or you will have little "chunks" in your dough.)
  • 1/2 cup salt (this is how I am finishing the container of table salt I no longer use in our food :)
  • 2 packs of unsweetened juice powder such as KoolAid. (yes, it has to be the stuff with no sugar, not because it's edible dough, but because the ones with sugar already added to them have a much bigger quantity of powder in the pouch. I'd like to point out, I never allow my kids to drink juices like that, but it makes for easy and cheap colors in this case :)
  • 3 Tablespoons of oil.
  • 2 cups boiling water.
I usually divide the recipe in half so I can have two batches of dough in different colours.


Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add oil and boiling water all at once. Mix well and knead in more flour if it's still sticky. Depending on the colours of juice powder used, sometimes you need more than the recommended amount of flour. Let cool before using.

Store in a resealable bag or container. It will last a few months.

Homemade play dough: $1
Play dough accessories: $20
Hours and hours of peace for Mom: Priceless
.... For everything else, there is...

I'm just kidding. But it did keep them busy for a good hour, I'm sure.
I hope you all have a fabulous weekend! I know I will!

1 comments:

Sheri (Green and Crunchy) on November 6, 2009 at 10:47 PM said...

I love making play dough! Such a fun activity. Your purple is so pretty!

I'm still laughing about your cost breakdown...
"Hours and hours of peace for Mom: Priceless".
I totally agree! Homemade play dough is a sanity-saver :)

Glad you guys are all feeling better there.
Have a great 4 days with your hubby home and the family all together. Happy birthday to your adorable little boy!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails