Got Tofu?

November 21, 2009

How is everyone today?

I hope your doing better than we are. My kids had a massive fever from Wednesday night to Thursday night (yes, both of them) and no symptoms. I thought it was quite strange, but when they woke up Friday morning with a strange rash over most of their bodies, I knew something was up. I had seen this rash before... on me! When I was a teenager. So I took them to the Dr. pronto.

They have scarlet fever! I am not kidding you.

We had plans for Thursday, Friday and today (Saturday) and of course those are the days they have been sick and are still contagious. I think tomorrow they will be able to go in public without making anyone sick. We woke up to a beautiful view of the ground and trees being covered in a thick blanket of white snow. Poor them, they just want to go play in it, but I have to make sure they no longer have a fever before I let them play outside in the white stuff.

Since we haven't been anywhere or done anything interesting, I thought I'd share a couple tofu recipes I was keeping for when I have nothing else to talk about.




To be honest with you, I have never had tofu in anything other than these two recipes I am going to share with you. Ever. And I know tofu (as is any soy product) is quite processed, but it's still less processed than some other things I have been going for in the past (and more recently again too. *gasp*. I've been going a bit off track with healthy eating). So I decided that for now, I'm OK with eating once in a while (until I research more on the pro and cons of tofu, there is so much mixed info out there!) if it's going to help me get back on track.


These recipes are so good, and any meat eaters would never guess there is tofu in there! I remember the first time I had tofu, I thought it would taste funny. Nope. Just the name is funny, but not the taste. Because tofu taste like whatever you put with it, which makes it so versatile.

Chocolate mousse


In the blender, blend 1 cup silken tofu until smooth. Then transfer to a bowl.

Next, melt 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or carob chips) in a double boiler. At the last second, add tsp vanilla extract, or whatever other extract that floats your boat. Then transfer the melted chocolate into the tofu puree and fold with a spatula until well combined. Serve in small bowls. It's very rich, so you don't need much. What was in that half a glass, was almost the whole batch and I ate it in 4 separate times.

You can serve it immediately for more of a pudding consistency, or as a chocolate dip for fresh cut fruits (Yum!) or put in the fridge for more of a mousse consistency. Either way, it's delish!


Now, unless your going to make a double batch of the chocolate mousse, your going to be left with some silken tofu. What to make with it?

A yummy Strawberry Almond Soy Smoothie, of course!


10 medium frozen or fresh strawberries

1 cup soy, rice or nut milk of your choice
1/2 cup silken tofu
2 Tbsp maple syrup or sweetener of your choice

1/4 tsp almond extract
Blend until smooth.

It's a yummy pink berry concoction I'm sure you will enjoy!

Have a great weekend!
Stephanie

4 comments:

bloomingkids on November 22, 2009 at 5:55 AM said...

Sorry to hear your kids are ill, poor things1 As for Tofu, I haven;t had it for years after tryingit in Thailand a loooong time ago and not being keen. Maybe it's time for another go! In the UK we have a meat alternative called Quorn which I love, it's a mushroom based substitute, very low fat and really good for cooking with. They do everything from 'fake' turkey, chicken or ham sandwich slices to 'fake' mince, nuggets, burgers etc and it goes down well with the whole family, thank goodness!

Mrs. M on November 22, 2009 at 12:50 PM said...

Ah! Poor you! Poor kids too...but poor you!
Hope you all are feeling better and can get outdoors...fresh air does wonders, even if just for a few minutes.
W came down with a wracking, baby seal cough Sat so last night was an sleepless adventure...you just feel so badly for them when they're ill.
Tofu...a friend of mine...her husband created a tofu chocolate cake to die for! One would never know it's tofu. Mmmmmm....I'll try your smoothies. Today I tried to entice W with a chocolate (aka carob), banana & peanutbutter smoothie...he wouldn't touch it. Favorite Husband loved it though!:)

Sheri (Green and Crunchy) on November 25, 2009 at 8:41 AM said...

The smoothie looks great, and the mousse looks DECADENT! Yum!

Scarlet Fever? WHAT? Those poor kids! You have had a rough time lately with the germies...I hope this is the last of it for you this winter. Sending good health thoughts your way, and I hope your kids are on the mend.

Love that you call hubby Favorite Husband :)

Anonymous said...

I am sure this post has touched all the internet people, its really really good piece of writing on
building up new webpage.

My page: buy android app ratings Buy android app reviews Buy android app reviews Buy andr

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails