I'm baack!

October 24, 2009

Sorry I have been MIA for over a week now.
I can't say that I've been too busy to come here and write anything.
Also can't say that I did not have any inspiration, because I did.

No, no excuses of the sort.

So... what did happened?

The kids and I had the flu.
A flu of the H1N1 variety I'm pretty sure (we are still waiting on the lab results to confirm).
Yes, you read that right.
It was one of the nastiest flu's we've ever had.
Sick-as-a-dog.

There has been alot of outbreaks here in Alberta and especially in my little middle-of-nowhere town. By last week, there were 4 confirmed cases at the local elementary school alone.
I also have 2 friends who's daughters (2 and 3 years old) had confirmed cases as well.
Who knows how many confirmed cases there are in town by now...

It has been a looooooong week.
I am glad the strain found here is supposed to be a mild one.
I would hate to see a not so mild strain of that flu.
I was exhausted! There was a few days period, that it took every ounce of energy I had to even just get off the couch to get the kids some water. My husband was away for work (good for him, that means he didn't get it, bad for me, I had no one to help me) and I had to drag myself and the kids to the hospital. Like I said, we are still waiting for the results and it's been a week. The provincial lab is backed up at this point.

I even had to go back to the hospital a second time with my little Buddy, because after a day of seeming better, he was back on the couch, with a very high fever and not drinking more than 8 oz in two days. He was really starting to scare me. Turns out he had got better from the flu, but he now had a double ear infection. Poor little guy.

But we are better now. No more fevers, no more exhaustion (still a bit tired, but it's not too bad), and no more coughing.

My husband happen to come home on days off just as I was starting to feel better. So I left him with the kids for a much needed trip to the grocery store. The kids had not completely lost their appetites during this flu, but they certainly had lost their taste for anything extra healthy (aka fruits and veggies). So frustrating!

So I made sure I got lots of produce. I got a little carried away with the fruit I think. See:
That's just for the kids and I. I know, it seems like alot, doesn't it?

So now, the battle begins. Trying to get them to eat healthy again. I am not kidding. They reverted so far back with their eating it's not even funny.

They are complete refined-carb-a-hoolics now. Organic corn pops, rice crackers and granola bars seems to be the only thing they have been wanting to eat in the past 2 weeks. And in the past month, they have slowly, but surely been refusing the meals I make. I can't tell you I am proud of this, but it's what happened.

My husband eats the standard American diet (with no fruits and almost no veggies), and I'm going vegetarian with an incline towards raw vegan foods... no wonder the kids are all mixed up. I have been struggling with finding a balance, but that's a story for another day...

In the mean time, I need to make sure I offer the kids LOTS of good foods, so they can get strong again and not get sick with this flu a second time.

So when they came and asked me for a snack this morning, I'm sure they had something like crackers in mind, but this is what I gave them instead:


With food this beautiful, hopefully I can win them over again. I've done it once, I'm sure I can do it again.

2 comments:

bloomingkids on October 25, 2009 at 3:57 PM said...

Sorry to hear you have all been ill - must be so hard when you are on your own with the children. I am struggling with healthy eating for my children too at the moment and really want to try getting back to loads of fruits and veg this week but it is so disheartening when they won't eat what I cook!
Good luck

Sheri (Green and Crunchy) on October 27, 2009 at 10:40 AM said...

Oh no! So sorry to hear that you were so sick! What a bad flu -- there's lots of people here with the swine flu too. Am seriously considering hibernating at home for the entire flu season :)

Your fruit is gorgeous! Those berries look amazing. Sometimes I crave nothing but fruit after I've been sick. Such a good food to gain back your health on.

Hope the kids enjoy their diet adjustments...you can do it!

Take good care of yourself -- sip tea and enjoy those 2 darlings and your good health.
xo Sheri

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails