What to do when you have too much produce in the fridge

September 3, 2009

As my love affair with food has been renewed through eating more purely, it has been very hard to resist buying fresh fruits and veggies (even when I don't need them) this summer! Not to mention I have a good friend with a garden that has been so nice and keeps giving me veggies now and then. (actually, twice this week so far!)

But what do you do with all of it, if you can't eat your way through it all before it goes bad?
You cook, you can, you freeze, you bake, you make, you create.
And that's what I'm in the process of doing. I had this huge bag of peas. We actually ate some the other day, lightly sauteed in olive oil, and cracked black pepper and Himalayan salt. But I found this particular variety pretty tough. The pods were not very tender. So I spent an hour with my son Ashton in the kitchen during Arianne's nap, removing all the peas from the pods. Turns out, he is excellent at doing this without squishing the peas!
That whole bag only made enough to barely fill this bowl. But look at those colors! I love that vibrant shade of green! We simply put them in a freezer bag and off they went into hiding until they are needed.
And here is Ashton showing off his eating skills.
I also had half a HUGE watermelon left in the fridge. It had been there for a few days already. We ate our way through the first half, but we were all getting tired of eating watermelon slices. Then, I had an idea. I have a melon baller, but never actually used it. Why not make watermelon balls, and freeze them!

I put them on a plate and into the freezer for a couple of hours. Once they were froze, I put them in a freezer bag as well. And you only need to move them around gently in the bag, if a few of them get stuck together. I was surprised at how easy they were to take apart.

All you need to do, when you're craving a taste of summer, or want to cool off during one of the last hot summer days of September, is pop one into your mouth. They quickly have a "slushy" texture.
Now that I'm left with half a watermelon full of holes, what to do with the rest? Why, watermelon sorbet of course!

Watermelon sorbet

I took 5 cups of watermelon, 1 Tbsp of unpasteurized local honey, and about 1-2 Tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice. Put everything into the blender, and blend until there are no chunks left. You will literally have watermelon juice. I tasted it at this step, and I could definitely drink it just like that! But, I put it all in a container, closed the lid, and sent it to the freezer overnight.

When you scoop it out, it has the texture of a snow cone (if you know what that is, depending on what part of the world you are in), or a slushy. Here, I served it to Ashton in a bowl, but it melted into complete juice in about 10 minutes because he took too long to eat it. So next time, I'm going to "shave" the sorbet into a glass and serve it with a straw for a healthy slushy!

Note: If you store either the watermelon balls and the watermelon sorbet in a deep freezer, it might be too hard to serve right away. I had to leave my sorbet on the counter for about 15 minutes to be able to scoop it out.

Those watermelon treats are just as fun to make as they are to eat!

4 comments:

Sheri on September 4, 2009 at 12:01 PM said...

Most colorful post EVER! Look at that gorgeous food! the peas look so fresh,and your pea-munchin' tot is adorable.

I have a thing for my melon baller too, WAY too much fun to use! Best $4 kitchen gadget I ever bought -- it's the little things, right? :)

Stephanie on September 4, 2009 at 2:54 PM said...

Thanks Sheri! It IS so much fun to use, I can't believe this was my first time using it. Now I might just start carving little fun balls out of every fruit and veggies I can do it out of, hehe :)

Jennic on September 4, 2009 at 11:49 PM said...

Hi Stephanie,

I wanted to let you know I left a comment on this blog post for you.

http://www.naturemoms.com/blog/2009/09/04/kangarooboo-sale/

Cheers,
Jennic

Mrs. M on September 6, 2009 at 9:13 PM said...

Love the watermelon sorbet & frozen balls ideas!! It's one of our most favorite fruits...and just today I was thinking about buying a baller for cookie making...now I really need one so that I can make watermelon balls.
Mmmmm...fresh peas. That's a right of passage...that I need to introduce my boys to.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails