I have a new baby!

September 18, 2009

OK, so it's not a baby of the human or even of the living variety. But of the shiny and in the kitchen variety.

Ever since I started reading about nutrition last winter (to find ways to help my son who had some ADHD-like symptoms), raw foods is something that kept popping up in all my searches. Because if your looking into eating natural, whole, unprocessed and healthy foods, this is definitely THE way to go. Though a raw vegan diet is not something that would work right now in our household, I (we) have made lots of dietary changes here. I now drink daily green smoothies. I swear by them! I also eat and give the kids lots more raw fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. And when I cook, I cook from scratch (well, um, most of the time). I'm not perfect, eating healthy it's still something we are working on. It dosent take much to fall off the wagon sometimes. (Like my birthday vacation for example. I'm not even going to tell you about all the crap we ate. Lets just say I felt ill by the end of the week).

I have been very curious about trying lots of different raw recipes, more specifically the sweet ones. I have a very sweet tooth, but every time I would find a recipe that seemed amazing, it would require a food processor. So, for my birthday, I got myself one AND it happen to be on sale. (Like a 50%-off-kinda-sale. Bonus!)

And here is my first raw vegan treat I've made with it:

This is Sheri's recipe from Vegan Family Inc.

Earth Balls

Place 2 cups of raw almonds in the food processor and ground to a fine "meal". Then, add 1 1/2 to 2 cups pitted Medjool dates. I then added hemp harts for protein and Omega's they provide, some Goji berries and a tiny drizzle of organic Agave nectar (to help it stick, like Sheri said.)

Blended a bit more and then form into balls. Instant gratification, they are ready right away. And they are SO SO SO good. You have NO idea!

You can add all kinds of other good things in there if you want to. Cacao powder, cacao nibs, ground flax, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, etc.

While I was at it, I figured I'd try another recipe I had found on RWB & Me. You can find her blog HERE.

Coconut Haystacks

These are ridiculously easy to make, but they deserve a serious warning though. I almost had a big "O" when I took the first bite. They are creamy and crunchy at the same time. YUM!

1/2 cup carob powder (I used raw cacao powder)

3 cups shredded, unsweetened organic coconut

3/4 cups coconut oil

1/2 cup agave nectar

In a bowl, combine the carob powder and shredded coconut. Mix well. Add the coconut oil and agave nectar. Mix well. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop into about 16 mounds. (I used a melon baller and made little bite size ones that would be perfect for my little kids). Freeze at least 30 minutes before serving. Keep in the freezer, or they will fall apart if it gets to warm, as the coconut oil will melt. You can eat them right out of the freezer without breaking your teeth. They actually don't get hard like regular food would (because of the coconut oil).

These two recipes are definitely going to be on my "must make sure I never run out of it" list. I will be trying and posting more recipes shortly. Since I came back to reality after our vacation, I'm also trying to return to our healthy eating habits and will be testing more recipes. With or without the food processor. So keep an eye out for them, if your interested :)

5 comments:

RWB on September 24, 2009 at 6:54 AM said...

lmao! LOVE your warning for the Haystacks! They are awesome, though...and I'm going to try your earth balls this weekend.
Yay for shiny kitchen tools! I've been drooling over a Vitamix and dehydrator....sigh....

Sheri on September 24, 2009 at 7:43 AM said...

Oh, your Haystack warning cracked me UP!

Will keep that in mind :)

Am going to make them today!

Hope all is well in the Purple Frog household!

Stephanie on September 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM said...

RWB: I so wish I had a Vitamix or Blendtec, and a dehydrator, and a juicer... one thing at a time I guess!

Sheri: Let me know how if you and your gang like the haystacks, I'm curious to know if I'm the only one who thinks they are awesome :)

aletheia on December 24, 2009 at 9:41 AM said...

Hi there, nice blog! :) Your food processor looks great! I'm also on the lookout for one, because I'm experiencing the same dilemma with many raw recipes (usually the more sophisticated one that I seriously want to want to want to try) requiring one!!

Stephanie on December 29, 2009 at 10:03 AM said...

Hi and welcome! The food processor has definately made trying raw desserts possible (that I would otherwise not been able to make). I cannot afford a vitamix right now, so between my regular blender and my food processor, I can make just about anything I want to. It's definately worth it!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails