My thoughts about Food Inc.

August 15, 2009

Like I had mentioned in my last post, I went to see Food Inc. on Thursday. I'm not going to enumerate all the things they talk about it it, because there is alot of content in this documentary. And I can't say I learned tons from it either, being that I have been doing nothing but reading and researching nutrition for the past 8 months or more. But I did learn some things, and to have it all crammed into 90 minutes, definitely puts things into perspective!

It was a great documentary, and I think everyone should see it. Everyone should know exactly where they're food comes from, and what happens to it in the process before it gets to your table, weather it's meat, a container of yogurt, a box of cereal or fruits and veggies. You ought to know. Period.

I went with a friend of mine, and we had a great conversation on the way back home after watching it. We already share the same views about food, the government, and just about everything else. And I can say without a doubt, that this documentary had an immediate impact on me.

The very next morning, I went to the farmers market. It was the first time in 2 years that I had been. Though I could not purchase alot, since I had just stocked up the day before at the grocery store (I'm ashamed of it now), I did find these:

They are a green onion, with the flavour of a red onion. I had them in my salad, and tried them in couscous yesterday. Yum, so good and pretty!

They come from a U-pick farm not too far from where I live. I'm thinking this would be a great activity to do with the kids, to go pick our own produce. It's never too early to learn about where your food comes from! They told me I can also call them, place an order that they will pick for me and bring to my local farmers market for me to pick up if I wanted to. How cool is that?!

Then, this morning I was at the supermarket to get a couple things I needed (that I could not find at the farmers market) and wanted to get some chicken breasts...

I picked up the package, looked at it, thought of all the things I saw in the documentary, and put the package back.

I could not bring myself to buy it. At all. All I could think of was all the growth hormones and antibiotics it'd be ingesting and giving my children by eating this chicken. So it stayed on the shelf.

I know my family and I are no where near ready to stop eating chicken, but if I'm going to buy and eat some, I'm going to change my ways. So I found out through a friend of mine that there are a few local organic chicken farmers where I can purchase some. How come I didn't know about that before? Probably because I didn't feel the need to know.

Funny when your perspectives in life change, you start learning more, and discover new things that maby you didn't know about before because you were not ready for them, or had no use for. Everything falls into place when it's the right time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails