More apple pancakes please!

August 25, 2009

I posted a picture of my "famous" apple pancakes on my Facebook album a little while back, and alot (OK, just a few) of my friends asked for the recipe. Oh, and I put famous in quotation marks because they are only famous to my kids and I. But I like to think they are that good! There is one problem with the pancakes though... there is never enough. If I make a single batch for the kids and I, I'm lucky if I get 1 pancake. Did I mention they are only 2 and 3 years old? How much can little kids eat? Alot it seems, especially when it comes to pancakes!

Everyone asking me for the recipe lately put me in the mood for some. So I made a batch this morning... a couple hours after my kids woke up...sometime after they "snacked" on dry breakfast cereal. What? I wanted more than just 1 pancake, is that a crime?
My son only had 1. He must have been too full for more, I wonder why? *looks up innocently*, lol. My daughter (the 2 yo) still managed to eat 2 though. I swear, I don't know where she puts it!
So here is the recipe...

Apple Pancakes


  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1-2 Tbsp ground flax
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp applesauce (or butter)
  • 1 medium apple, peeled and grated (use a soft flesh apple such as McIntosh or Spartan. Trust me, if you use something more crunchy like Royal Gala it won't be the same. I know, I tried)

In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Then add the milk, the egg and the applesauce and mix, as you would for regular pancake batter, making sure to not remove all the little lumps. Grate a peeled apple with a cheese grater (should make about 1 cup, but if there's more than a cup, I would not put it all in.) Mix just enough to incorporate.

Grease and heat a frying pan. Once you put the batter in the pan, lower the heat to about medium, med-high. Take not that they take a bit longer to cook in the middle than regular pancakes. Top with some maple syrup and voila!


I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails