Kitchen disasters

August 21, 2009

Lately, I've been trying to step out of my cooking comfort zone. Ever notice how you usually always cook the same things? It might not be such a bad thing if the same things include more than the same 6-8 meals.

I came across a recipe for beet pancakes a little while ago, and thought I'd give it a try. I'm a huge fan of hiding veggies (or fruit) in my kids food. I actually put pureed cauliflower in my kids mac and cheese, and they love it. So I thought, these pancakes would be pretty cool, considering they were going to turn out pink!

I told you it was pink! So far, so good...


Until I tried to cook them. Seems they don't cook the same as regular pancakes. They almost burned on the outside, and I couldn't get the inside to cook. I was able to try a little piece that manage to cook through, and I had to trow them in the garbage and make french toast as a quick backup for the kids. Since I had promised them pancakes, they were expecting their breakfast to have a drizzle of maple syrup, so it was a lot faster to make french toast than to whip up my usual pancake batter.
And this is just the beginning of my failed kitchen tests...

There was this raw salad. Ingredients were a good mix, but the dressing ruined the whole thing. It was not as inedible as the pancakes though, but I would not make it again.

Then there was the time I tried to make my own hemp "milk". I love hemp seeds (or hemp hearts, depending on what you call them) so I thought I would love this.
So I whip up the ingredients in the blender.
It comes out white.
Woo hoo! It looks like milk!
And then I taste it.
Um.... no thanks, I think I'll pass.
Could be because I don't have cheesecloth or a nut milk bag to strain it and it did not have a smooth texture.
Could be because it was not sweet enough (or at all). I knew I could not add dates to sweeten it up because my blender is not powerful enough to deal with dates. I know, I've tried before.
Next!

Ewww, I am not even going to tell you what this was supposed to be. And no, it's not real meat. Which is one of the main reasons why this tasted so horrible. I don't eat meat all the time, but if a recipe calls for meat, I will put meat in it, and not fake soy protein shaped like meat.

Here, I tried a spinach salad with raspberry vinaigrette. Maby it was the dressing, maby I just don't like fresh raspberries in a salad, I don't know.


This had to be one of the worst of all. Either equally as bad as the beet pancakes (I'm telling you, they were horrible), or even worst. It's raw avocado soup. I love avocado's, and I know how creamy they are, so I thought this would be "different" but thought it could have the potential to be good. My taste buds didn't agree! lol.
Some of these recipes have potential to taste good (to me) with a few minor changes. And then there were the "lets never make this again" recipes.
But I'm not getting discouraged, because I did try some new recipes that were fantastic (like the raw mango ice cream, or the curried lentil soup I posted about).
I will keep on cooking!
Have you ever tried a new recipe thinking it was going to be great until it was all done?
I'd love to hear some of your kitchen disasters!

1 comments:

Amy Jo on August 24, 2009 at 11:06 AM said...

These are great! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails