I did something completely out of character!

August 26, 2009

Last night, I did something completely out of character... and I'm so proud of myself! Did I peak your curiosity?
I caught the kids at the table with their coloured pencils and wood blocks. *gasp* Oh no! Don't do... wait? Why does it matter? It's their wood blocks. They are not hurting anything. Oh what the heck, go for it! Who am I to stop their creativity flow!

My daughter did a double take, thinking: "Really? We can?"



"Maby I should just play with this string." My son on the other hand, did not have to be told twice! He just went with it. It made him happy, and kept him busy the rest of the night until almost bed time.


And he was so proud to show it off when he was done!

I have to explain something... I used to be a more laid back sort of earth mama. I never fussed about my kids messes. (unless they would spit carrot or berry puree when I wore a white shirt). I would just let them be, let them learn, and clean up after. But somewhere between my daughter's birth (which was followed by a move across country, having gall bladder stones and being in excruciating pain + surgery, and having post-partum depression) and today, I became a control freak kinda mom. And I don't like it one bit. It's way too stressful. So I decided a little while back, that I would try really hard to relax and be more laid back again...

Oh, don't worry, I made sure to explain to him that he was not allowed to draw on walls (we live in a rental and are not even allowed to paint walls) and that he was also not allowed to draw on other toys without asking first.

What? No he can't. One thing at a time. It's a process, people! It's a process! I'm still a control freak, I can't change that over night. But I can change a bit at a time. And that's exactly what I'm going to keep doing, because I'd rather go back to being the laid back, earth mama I started out to be. She can have way more fun! My kids would agree :)

1 comments:

Sheri on August 28, 2009 at 7:30 AM said...

Oh, you ARE a laid back mama! I don't know if I could let my kids color on their beautiful wood blocks :) But that is a masterpiece that your son did! And it will look fabulous in a block tower. Cool project!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails