The best soup ever!

July 28, 2009

Last week, before all this crazy heat started, I took the notion to make soup...at 10:30pm.

Yes, I know it's weird, but I could not sleep AND I had been drooling over this recipe for a couple months I think. The recipe is from
Fresh 365. And if you've never heard of this blog and love cooking, then you will be in heaven!

And by the way, I believe that all her recipes are veg.

This woman is amazing at food photography. I thought maby she was a food stylist for a magazine or something, but turns out she's a designer. She's just really talented with photography AND cooking.

You can find the original recipe
here.

I talked about this soup on my Facebook page, and had a couple friends who wanted the recipe. So here it is :)

Curried Lentil, Swiss Chard and Chickpea Soup

(I took this picture, it did not come from the Fresh 365 blog. I wish my food pics were half as nice as hers)

Serves 4

3 Tbsp olive oil
1 lg onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lg bunch Swiss chard, chopped, stems and leaves separated
5 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup baby carrots, coarsely chopped
4 cups vegetable broth
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cup red lentils
15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and Swiss chard stems. Saute until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Stir in curry, cayenne and salt.
Add Swiss chard leaves, carrots, broth and water, stir and bring to a boil.
Add lentils and chickpeas.
Reduce to low heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 12 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.


This recipe is so easy and fool proof! I did not have any cayenne, so I used chili powder. I used regular carrots instead of baby ones, and sliced them. AND I was tired apparently (hey, it was almost 11pm when I was done making this! lol) because I forgot to put certain ingredients in the pot at the right times, and the canned chickpeas were not tender enough when the 12 minutes was up, so I let it sit an extra 20-30 minutes. Result: my red lentils disintegrated! The texture was still good though. It made it thicker and less like a broth.

Even with all those minor "screw ups", it still tasted amazing!

Thanks to
mum seeks life for blogging about it a while back. I never would have found this blog and my now new favourite soup without you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails