The perfect dish

June 24, 2009

It's getting quite a bit warmer here, and my 3rd floor apartment starts to feel like an oven halfway through the day. So that means, I am going to start craving some refreshing meals that require the least amount of cooking as possible. Although a salad made with greens may come to mind, sometimes, you want something a bit more substantial than just greens and veggies. Here is my perfect recipe for those times!


Blueberry and Wild Rice Salad


1 cup brown and wild rice
2 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup chopped apricots
1/2 cup chopped red onions
1/4 cup lime juice
2 Tbsp honey (or agave nectar)
1 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp lime zest
6 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed


Combine the rice with the vegetable broth and enough water to cover by 1 inch, in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender. Let cool at room temp.

Stir in the cranberries, almonds, apricots and red onions. Set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey, ginger and lime zest. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the rice mixture and mix well. Gently fold in the thawed blueberries. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 4 to 6. (original recipe can be found on
http://www.vegcooking.com/)

The mix of textures and flavours in this dish is amazing. I don't think I've ever tried anything else like this. And I'm not usually a fan of red onions, but you need it in this dish, otherwise, it's too sweet almost. The onion adds a needed "bite" of flavour, the apricots adds some chewiness, and the almonds something crunchy. It can serve a big crowd as a side dish, or in my case, a few main courses, because I love this stuff!!! Cant get my kids to eat it though. They don't like when things are all mixed up like that, and my son does not really like rice anyways, so I guess it's more for me. Would that not be an awesome dish to bring to a potluck though?

If you ever try it, let me know what you think!

1 comments:

Hayley on June 25, 2009 at 2:19 AM said...

I know what you mean about eating different meals when it is hot. I will have to try this recipe out soon!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails