Organic new foods

June 16, 2009

Lately, food has been on my mind all the time. Well, more than ever, I mean. I know I mentioned in a past post that I try to buy more organic foods lately because of the issues my little guy has been having. (ie food sensitivities to preservatives, colours, and who knows what else I havent figured out yet).

So in trying to buy food as "pure" as possible, I have been visiting my health food store pretty regularly now. I am turning into such a food nerd lately, but I love it! Ha!

My last purchase at the health food store, was this:

Clockwise from the top left: Raw cacao powder, raw cacao nibs, and organic, unsweetened shredded coconut. (yes, now I am taking pictures of my health food store purchases. Told you I'm a food nerd! But I'm ok with that. I can think of worst things ;)

I still had some "regular" coconut left at home, but this organic one was on sale and I knew my "regular" one had some preservative in it, to prevent it from changing colour. A few days after my purchase, I needed it for a recipe, and I thought I would use up my old one before going into the bag of organic one. As soon as I opened my jar, the smell "hit me in the face". I had never noticed it before, but it did not exactly smell like fresh coconut! I decided to compare smells, and that was all I needed to decide to get rid of the old stuff and start using the organic coconut.

OK, it may turn yellowish after a while because it does not have any added chemicals to it, but so what? It tastes way better!

I have tried the raw cacao powder for a "raw chocolate mousse" but it tasted horrible. I dont think it was because of the cacao, but the rest of the ingredients just were not for me I think. But I will try it in other recipes soon and will let you know what I think. As for the raw cacao nibs, they have been used as an addition to my smoothie, as a crunchy topping. I have to say that raw cacao nibs have an interesting taste... not sure if I like it or not yet, but at that price, I will eat them until the bag is done!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails