Lovin' the Omega-3's!

May 16, 2009

I have to talk about Omega-3's today. I just have to. I have been taking them for a few months now and have also been giving some to my kids as well. I started taking them myself because I had issues with my hair and skin and also had bouts of depression. I had done my research and new it was supposed to/could help with those things. Though it did not help with my depression, it did wonders for my hair and skin.

The results were A-MA-ZING!!! So after seeing that it made such a difference for me, I decided to get some for my kids as well (I made sure they get proper dosage for their age). My son was having some behaviour issues for some time. I'm talking really bad tantrums over EVERYTHING, bad attitude, completely unable to listen when I talk to him because his mind was going 100 miles per hour. I even started reading about ADD/ADHD thinking that could be the cause. A friend of mine then told me that her nephew had the same kind of issues and it turns out he was deficient in Omega-3's and that his behaviour changed once he was on supplements regularly.

I thought, OK, I'll give it to both my kids and if all else fails, at least I know it has other good benefits for their overall health. But somehow, in the chaos of life, I did not really pay attention to any affects it might have had on my son (good or bad) until... we ran out and I kept forgetting to buy more... for 2 weeks. Then his bad attitude returned. It took me a week to figure out what happened to make him so moody. Then I had a light bulb moment, rushed to the store and got some more supplements.

Well, that particular day had been quite bad. His first tantrum was in the first minute after waking up in the morning. Then, he had a tantrum over not wanting to take his running shoes off indoors, tantrum over me not wanting to carry him because he did not want to walk to the living room (he's 3 1/2 years old), tantrum over everything. Again. And I do not use the word tantrum lightly. He was rolling on the floor, screaming his head off, even tried to hit me. I gave him his supplement as soon as I we got home and an hour later he was the nicest kid on the block! What-the-hell?

At this point I'm thinking it's just a coincidence, even though the "niceness" lasted all day. Now we are 3 days in, and he is the nice little boy I know he is, sharing with his baby sister and laughing with her, able to play quietly when he needs to yet still full of energy.

So if all it's going to take is some Omega-3's daily for the rest of his childhood or possibly life, I'm OK with that. Because I'm most likely going to keep it up for the rest of my life as well. My dry skin is gone and I almost never breakout anymore. I just feel so much better!

(For anyone who is wondering, I am going to take him to our family doctor and see if there is a cause for this, because certain foods make him react the same way he would off the omegas, which we avoid now. But even if he were to have ADD/ADHD, I'd rather be careful with what I give him than medicate him.)

1 comments:

mom seeks life on May 18, 2009 at 2:09 PM said...

Ileft you along post to this yesterday but it didn't appear...can't write it all again! But general gist was that I am terrible at remembering to give my kids O3s but you have given be the boost to start again. Hope it's still working out.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message.

Stephanie xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails